The popularity of SOCIAL MEDIA increases day by day connecting people with whatever they watch and buy. The Consumers are connecting with Brand icons through their LinkedIn profiles or it can be an Advertisement asking a consumer to “Like” its product page on Facebook. Whatever the ways are, they have powerful influence on Consumer Behavior not only online but offline also. The Emergence of Social Media has changed the entire theory of Management Courses as most of the Management Institutions are thinking of including a special subject on Social Media to enhance the skills of the marketing experts both online and offline.
Let us take U.S. for an example in this context. 80 percent of the total active internet users in U.S. spent their times on Social Networks and Blogs. This statistic increases which has a direct influence on their purchase decisions. Sixty percent consumers are prone to use digital means which can be three or more in number to research for a product learned about a specific brand or product from a social networking site of which 48 percent of them mostly respond to the retailers posts on Twitter or Facebook. As this social interest continues to grow, it has become inevitable for the traditional Retailers or Advertisers to understand the different segments of consumers share and use contents on the Internet.
To make things more simpler I have taken the U.S. Internet Market as a reference but we will be discussing about the world statistics for Social Media Usage.
The U.S. internet users spend more time on Facebook than any other U.S. websites.
The Various Key Findings
The apps for social networking ranks third among the smartphone usage in U.S.
- The social media users access 40 percent of their social media contents from their smartphones.
- Social Networks and Blogs are visited by nearly 4 out of every 5 active internet users.
- Social networks and Blogs nearly accounts a quarter of the total time spent by the U.S. internet users.
- Internet users above the age of 55 visit the social networks through mobile internet.
- Men watch online videos and for a longer duration than women on social networks and blogs
- 70 percent of the active online users shop online and 53 percent of the social networks prefer to follow a brand while 32 percent prefer to follow a celebrity.
- Tumblr has tripled its audience from a year ago and has been emerging as a key player in social media.
|Social Networks and Blogs rule Americans’ Internet time|
The numbers above reflects the use of Social Networks and Blogs which 35 percent which is more than double the amount active internet users for Online Gaming which is 15 percent.
Demographic Analysis of Most Active Female Social Networkers
Among the most active visitors Female internet users occupy the majority of the total number of visits to Social Networking sites and Blogs. Also people who fall in the age group 35-49 are also avid visitors.
Women Rule The World Of Social Networks
Men are more likely to visit LinkedIn and Wikia while Women prefer to spend their time on Social Networking sites like Facebook, Delicious, Docstoc, Flickr, Myspace, Ning, Twitter, Upcoming.org, Ustream.tv, Yelp and many more. A stunning set of stats below will provide a clear picture of the percentage of social Networking usage by Men and Women.
Comscore has revealed that social networking reach among women was highest in Latin America which went up to 94 percent of female online. Areas in Asia Pacific, where the broadband penetration is low, still have a surprising 55 percent active female internet user. However women maybe more active on Facebook, Twitter or Myspace but cannot compete in case of news sites like Digg, Reddit and Slashdot where the stats got reversed by 84 percent by active men participants.
Few Amazing Facts & Figures Facebook And Twitter
- Facebook has more than 800 million active users of which 50 percent of the active users stay online on Facebook in any given day
- Average Facebook users have 130 friends
- More than 250 million photos are being uploaded on Facebook every day
- Average user is connected to 80 groups, events or community pages
- There are more than 900 million objects in Facebook that people interact with
- Approximately 80 percent of the Facebook users are from outside U.S.
- Facebook users install apps more than 20 million times every day
- Among 800 million active users 350 million of them access Facebook through their mobile devices
- More than 475 mobile operators work globally to promote Facebook mobile products
- 65 percent of Twitter users are under the age of 25
- 97.8 percent Twitter users follow less than 400 people
- 98 percent of Twitter users have less than 400 followers
- When someone has 1,000 followers the number of Tweets/day jumps from three to six, while someone 1,750 followers earns about 10 tweets/day
- About 50 percent of Twitter users haven’t updated their status in the past seven days
- Twitter activities becomes more on Tuesdays followed by Wednesdays and Fridays
- Most Twitter activities happens between 11a.m to 3p.m (EST)
- TweetDeck has 19.7 percent market share while Twitterfon and Twitterfeed has 4.5 percent and 3.8 percent share respectively
- By population, U.S. is the biggest Twitter country followed by UK, Canada and Australia
DiggEmUp : Your Source For Social News & Networking
All the above statistical data are being collected from Facebook.com, Twitter.com and “The Social Media Report” by Nielsen and NM Incite